Research Papers

Low-intensity indocyanine-green laser phototherapy of acne vulgaris: Pilot study

[+] Author Affiliations
Elina A. Genina, Alexey N. Bashkatov, Georgy V. Simonenko

Saratov State University, Optics Department, Astrakhanskaya 83, Saratov?410026, Russia E-mail: eagenina@optics.sgu.ru

Olga D. Odoevskaya

Saratov State Medical University, Optics Department, Saratov?410026, Russia

Valery V. Tuchin

Optics Department, Astrakhanskaya 83, Saratov?410026, Russia

Gregory B. Altshuler

Palomar Medical Technologies, Research and Development Department, 82 Cambridge St, Burlington, MA?01803-4107

J. Biomed. Opt. 9(4), 828-834 (Jul 01, 2004). doi:10.1117/1.1756596
History: Received Apr. 30, 2003; Revised Oct. 31, 2003; Accepted Nov. 12, 2003; Online July 12, 2004
Text Size: A A A

Near infrared (NIR) diode laser low-intensity (soft) phototherapy with the topical application of indocyanine green (ICG) has been suggested for treatment of acne vulgaris. Twelve volunteers with acne lesions on their faces and/or backs were enrolled in the experiment. Skin areas of the subjects that were 4×5cm2 were stained with ICG solution for 5 min before laser irradiation (803 nm) at a power density up to 50mW/cm2 for 5 to 10 min. For 75% of the subjects, a single treatment was provided and for the other 25%, eight sequential treatments over a period of a month were carried out. Observations a month after the completion of the treatment showed that only the multiple treatments with a combination of ICG and NIR irradiation reduced inflammation and improved the state of the skin for a month without any side effects. A month after treatment, the improvement was about 80% for the group receiving multiple treatments. Single treatments did not have a prolonged effect. © 2004 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers.

© 2004 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers

Citation

Elina A. Genina ; Alexey N. Bashkatov ; Georgy V. Simonenko ; Olga D. Odoevskaya ; Valery V. Tuchin, et al.
"Low-intensity indocyanine-green laser phototherapy of acne vulgaris: Pilot study", J. Biomed. Opt. 9(4), 828-834 (Jul 01, 2004). ; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.1756596


Tables

Access This Article
Sign in or Create a personal account to Buy this article ($20 for members, $25 for non-members).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Related Book Chapters

Topic Collections

PubMed Articles
Advertisement
  • Don't have an account?
  • Subscribe to the SPIE Digital Library
  • Create a FREE account to sign up for Digital Library content alerts and gain access to institutional subscriptions remotely.
Access This Article
Sign in or Create a personal account to Buy this article ($20 for members, $25 for non-members).
Access This Proceeding
Sign in or Create a personal account to Buy this article ($15 for members, $18 for non-members).
Access This Chapter

Access to SPIE eBooks is limited to subscribing institutions and is not available as part of a personal subscription. Print or electronic versions of individual SPIE books may be purchased via SPIE.org.